PREPARATION FOR YOUR COLONOSCOPY
5 DAYS PRIOR to your procedure STOP TAKING blood thinners (Coumdain, Plavix, Ticlid, Agrylin). Be certain that you take all heart and high blood pressure medication (EXCEPT aspirin or thinners) the morning of the procedure with a sip of water. If you have a history of asthma or breathing problems, please use any inhalers as prescribed the morning of the procedure. TYLENOL is OK to take prior for pain or headache.
For DIABETIC PATIENTS please follow the diabetic instruction sheet.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
1) Beginning for the time you wake up, you will be on a clear liquid diet. To properly prepare you bowels for the exam, you must drink at least eight 8 oz.) glasses of clear liquids over the next twelve hours to prevent dehydration. You may drink more if you wish. This fluid plays an important role in cleaning your large intestine. Remember that the bowel must be clean for a complete inspection and for the safe removal of any polyps. You may drink any clear liquids such as ginger-ale, Sprite, 7-Up, thin clear broth, and clear fruit juices – no pulp (apple juice, cranberry juice, or white grape juices). Some other acceptable food items include tea, coffee no milk or cream), non-dairy sherbet, or Jell-O. (Avoid red or purple Jell-O). In addition, please do not take any fiber products (Citrucel or Metamucil), Pepto Bismol, Lactulose or Enulose on this day.
2) Place Half Lytely in refrigerator. Mix the powder in the container as per the directions with cool clear liquid.
3) Start to drink the Half Lytely around 2:00 p.m. Drink an 8-ounce glass every 15 minutes until the half-gallon is completed. Your evening meal should be limited to light liquids such as broth, clear fruit juices and jell-o. No solid foods should be eaten.
4) Take both of the 2 yellow Fleet Bisacodyl tablets at 5 p.m. Swallow the tablets whole with a full glass of water. Do not chew or dissolve the tablets. Take both of the tablets unless the Doctor has instructed otherwise.
5) Do not eat or drink after midnight, except for taking your usual medications.
ON THE DAY OF THE EXAMINATION
1) Do Not Eat Breakfast. Do not have anything to drink.
You must have someone accompany you to and from any procedure and you cannot use public transportation. The Naugatuck Valley Surgical Center insists that you have someone with you for 24 hours after your procedure.